Tuesday, February 16, 2016

God Was Once A Man?

Ok, so I was reading in the ESV Study bible under a special section in the back of the book under "cults" and you can guess which "church" was listed first on this list. You got it. the LDS church.

the first point in the article on what mormon's believe that is different from Christianity, is that God was once a man. Mormon's believe that God was once a man and progressed to deity.

OK. What?

This is just about the dumbest, stupidest things I have ever heard. in regards to religious beliefs and I've heard some pretty dumb and stupid things.

I don't remember this teaching in the church that I was a part of for 18 years. It seems back in the 1840's, Joseph's Myth taught this principle to his sheep. and apparently they bought it. And believed it.

Ah, no, Mr. s'Myth. God was not once a man. He has always been God.
Where did you come up with such a ridiculous theory.

Back in the 1990's, LDS Church president Gord Hinckley was apparently asked this question--whether mormon's believed it.

This is a quote from a 1997 Time magazine article:
On whether the LDS Church holds that, "God the Father was once a man, he sounded uncertain, ‘I don’t know that we teach it. I don’t know that we emphasize it ... I understand the philosophical background behind it, but I don’t know a lot about it, and I don’t think others know a lot about it,’" Hinckley told Time.

This is the prophet of the church saying that he doesn't "think" that we emphasize it and that he doesn't know a lot about it.

I thought the prophet was God's mouthpiece. Maybe he should have set up a conference call with God to find out whether this was true or not.

This teaching was not widely taught in church after this time as I don't remember it being taught in my ward Sunday School or Priesthood class. I asked the question on another forum and many people remember it plainly being taught in their wards, but not so much as it was downplayed after Hinckley's interview with Time Magazine.

So there you have another ridiculous teaching of the mormon church that people just accepted as truth but it is a load of crap.

How could God be once a man? It plainly teaches in the Bible that God is unchanging. He didn't progress to that state. He has always been God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Good Place To Raise A Family

One of the comments that a leader made to a person who was investigating the history of the church and how it doesn't line up with the ...